Which book you are reading? Which is your favourite author? Which genre you love to read? These are some questions that book lovers ask each other and enjoy talking about what they read. This might seem lame for people who don’t read but for people who love reading, it is a whole new world full of imagination. They know how lame it is to not read, so they are okay with those judgemental looks.
There is an interesting relationship that a book lover shares with books. They love everything related to books, and written words has a life for them, which a non-reader cannot understand. There are so many crazy ideas that a book-lover gets and which are completely normal if you are a voracious reader.
Here are 10 common things that you do if you are addicted to books.
- You feel there are so many books to read and so less time. You thank god for Friday because you can read for two days continuously and many times in night too. There is nothing better if weekend is little dull with rain or storm, so you have an excuse to ditch your friend and read that book.
- When you arrange your books for 100th time and feel so happy about your precious possessions. When all you feel that you need more space for your books and how many more books you want to satisfy your need.
- When you picture your dream home, it always has a big library full of books and a comfortable place for you to read because there is nothing as great as a good book and a cup of coffee.
“I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of anything than of a book! — When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.” ― Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice
- When you keep suggesting people books to read and often you judge people by the books they read, authors they follow. You pity people who say I can’t read books, it’s so boring and you find it easy to connect with fellow readers.
- Your ‘to-read’ list is already so big that after finishing a book you end up in an argument with yourself about which book to pick next. Even when you travel or go on a vacation you always have a book or two in your bag because there is a great pleasure in reading. You also fancy reading near the beach on a quiet afternoon with Sun shining at the top or on the highest mountain peak in the lap of nature.
- For you one of the biggest pleasures in life is visiting a library or a book store. Smelling books- new and old, staring at the classic collection of author you admire so much. Book shopping is your favourite thing to do. Buying books, admiring books and even after buying loads of them you always want that one more book in the corner and it automatically goes in next shopping list.
“In a good bookroom you feel in some mysterious way that you are absorbing the wisdom contained in all the books through your skin, without even opening them.” – Mark Twain
- You have kindle in your hand and you have already read the book couple of times but still you want a copy of your favourite book in hard-cover, because you want to feel it in your hand.
- Sometimes you just hate finishing a book because you loved it so much and you want the author to continue the book infinitely. When you keep comparing people around you with characters in your favourite book. When you want your partner to read ‘Pride and Prejudice’ before marriage so he knows what you want is perfect Mr. Darcy. When you keep saying your kids ‘You have got your mother’s eyes.’ That is pure insanity but yes book-lovers are prone to these insane behaviours.
- If you are a parent or going to be one you already have a list of books you will want your kid to read. You have some of these already in your library even if your kid is too young to read. You have already planned which books you will gift your child, when you will introduce that first harry potter book to your child and lot more.
“A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge.” ― George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones
- When your loved ones always ask you before your birthday, which book you want and you end up thinking which book to say for you have a long list to pick one. When you buy more books than you can read and still feel you have to buy some more.
There is honestly no end but it is always fun to see how we booklovers behave weirdly at times. But despite all this I still love reading because there is no pleasure like reading a good book.
No matter how much stress you have in your relationship, at your work or other daily issues, when you read you slip into a story and leave all your worries behind. Books can take you to other realms and give you great experiences to cherish. Reading a book is a great way of removing negativity from your system. Books are indeed elixir in this fast moving world full of stress. So, why not try to open a book and replenish our soul.
What are you reading today?